Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To the Hunt! To the Hunt! To the Hunt!

If you could meet any celebrity alive or dead from any part of the world, any walk of life, who would it be? I have thought long and hard about this one. There are several answers that I could give, and they seem to be based on their particular medium of celebrity. As far as the movies and/or television are concerned, I cannot seem to choose between Curly Howard:



and John Wayne:




Wayne has long been a favorite of mine. He may not have been the greatest actor, but he represented to me what an American was. He seemed to always be bathed in that light where freedom lived. He always seemed to breathe that air that breeds self-respect. To be sure he had his demons, but we all do. I for one will not cast a stone. There are no actors in this day and age that provoke these feelings in me. Perhaps he was meant to be the only one, which makes him all the more precious. If this is true, it would suit me right down to the ground.

As for Curly, he reminds me of a time when responsibility was only a word to me. At some point in time, the notion becomes more than just a word. For every person, that time is different. It has been said before that this time occurs when you stop saying, "it got lost" and start saying, "I lost it." The burden of responsibility weighs heavy, and in my humble opinion I think it pays to remember the times when you could still say it got lost without actually removing the yoke. Curly helps me think of such times.

I still think that "are you married or happy?" is one of the most classic lines ever spoken in film.

So, my fine feathered friends, what screen gem or gems shine the brightest in your eyes?

Next post, sports celebrities.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I would also have to say John Wayne. He is what I think America needs again. Someone who says "I am American and proud of it!"
My fav quote " I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." More people should adopt this way of life!

dp said...

That, my wife, is why I married thee...
I do, you know, love you more now than before, but certainly not as much now as I will later.
dp

mrsboog said...

you two were given a rare gift...cherish it always

dutchlvr said...

My answer: Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

I love their work, especially "The Sting." I first saw that when I was in grade school and it has always stuck in my brain as the first time I saw true actors at work.